Church of St. Andrew the First-Called

The Church of St. Andrew the First-Called, built in 1997, carries within its walls a story of faith restored after decades of Soviet-era suppression. Not far from its current location once stood the Trinity Church of the 56th Zhitomir Infantry Regiment, originally constructed in Tiraspol in 1903. Like so many other religious buildings throughout the city, this regimental church was closed during the Soviet period, and in the years following the war, its remaining structure was demolished to make way for a sports ground.

The idea of restoring a place of worship on this historically meaningful site emerged in the 1990s, and the Church of St. Andrew the First-Called was subsequently built on the territory of the military camp belonging to the Operational Group of Russian Troops in Pridnestrovie. In a meaningful expression of community solidarity, the funds necessary for construction were donated by the soldiers of this very military group — the same individuals who now form the majority of the church’s devoted congregation, giving this place of worship a genuinely personal connection to those who worship within it.

Address: 159, Karla Libknekhta Str., Tiraspol
Phone: +373 533 58100